Selling a house can be daunting, especially if your property has major issues, like a cracked foundation. It’s not uncommon for homeowners or landlords to struggle with finding buyers when their house or rental property needs extensive repairs or renovations. However, it’s not an impossible feat. At Doug Hopkins, we’ll tell you how to sell your Phoenix Arizona house with a cracked foundation successfully and provide you with essential information to make informed decisions.
Can You Sell a House With a Cracked Foundation?
Yes, you can sell a house with a cracked foundation, but it has challenges. According to the National Association of Realtors, a significant proportion of recent homebuyers, approximately 41%, opted for new properties specifically to evade issues such as renovations or electrical and plumbing problems. However, many investors and cash home buyers are still open to purchasing properties needing renovation, including foundation repair. The key is to be transparent about the issue and find the right buyer willing to take on the necessary repairs.
Foundations Naturally Settle
The real estate market in Phoenix exhibits a moderate level of competition. The recent median price for Phoenix homes was USD 440,000, a 2.3% increase compared to last year. As a homeowner, it’s essential to understand that foundations can naturally settle over time, especially in regions like Phoenix, Arizona, with unique soil conditions.
The geological makeup of Arizona is distinctive, characterized predominantly by clay-rich soils. These soils exhibit a high capacity for moisture absorption and are prone to contraction when subjected to dry conditions. The constant cycle of expansion and contraction is a standard attribute of these soils in cities like Buckeye, Glendale, Peoria and Goodyear.
The distinctive clay soil conditions and the area’s dry climate contribute to over 80% of the incorrectly identified foundation problems.
Common Foundation Issues in AZ
In Arizona, common foundation issues include the following:
- Soil Shrinkage and Expansion: As mentioned previously, the clay-rich soil in Arizona tends to expand when wet and shrink when dry. This constant shift can lead to movement in the foundation, causing cracks and instability.
- Settlement: Over time, a foundation can settle due to the weight of the house and other factors such as soil conditions. This settlement can lead to uneven floors, wall cracks, and other structural issues.
- Heave: This is the opposite of settlement, involving the foundation rising instead of sinking, often caused by expanding soils that push the foundation upward. Foundation heave can lead to major structural problems if not adequately addressed.
- Deterioration: Foundations can deteriorate over time due to various factors such as water damage, pest infestations, and age. This can weaken the structural integrity of the house.
When selling a house for cash in Arizona, it’s important to have a clear and thorough understanding of these potential issues. This information can be crucial in negotiations and ensure that both buyer and seller enter the transaction with appropriate expectations.
How Much Is Too Much of a Crack?
Not all foundation cracks are equal. Some cracks are superficial and easily repaired, while others may signal a more significant structural problem. Here are some factors to consider when assessing foundation cracks:
- Size: Smaller cracks are often cosmetic and can be sealed. Larger cracks may indicate a more serious issue.
- Location: Cracks in corners, windows, or doors are more concerning as they can affect the structure’s integrity.
- Pattern: Horizontal or zigzag cracks are typically more problematic than vertical cracks.
- Movement: If you notice that a crack is widening or new cracks are forming, it’s a sign of an active issue that you should address promptly.
Let’s Sell It Right Now Online
Any homeowner saying, “I want to sell my house for cash,” even with a cracked foundation, can sell to Doug Hopkins, a real estate investor. We buy houses as is, meaning we will purchase your home in any condition. Yes, it doesn’t matter if your house is cluttered or needs major repairs. We will buy it for cash within just a few days!
Our process is simple and hassle-free. You don’t have to worry about staging your house, hiring a real estate agent, or dealing with picky buyers. We can provide you with a free instant cash offer for your home, allowing you to find out how much it’s worth in its current condition. Our team understands the local market and can offer a solution that suits your needs. Request your free instant cash offer today if you want to sell my house fast Phoenix Arizona or surrounding cities of the Phoenix Metro Area!